Tuesday, June 7, 2016

We are the Light of The World

When I was getting ready for my first Communion, our teacher had us write a prayer to God, and in that prayer I said, "Jesus let your light shine through me." At the time I didn't know what I was actually saying, but now I know I was asking him to make me transparent so as to say let his light and the love of Christ shine through me.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 5:13-16) Jesus tells us to shine our light, and let God work through us, so that others may glorify his works:

Jesus said to his disciples:
“You are the salt of the earth.
But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned?
It is no longer good for anything
but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
You are the light of the world.
A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket;
it is set on a lamp stand,
where it gives light to all in the house.
Just so, your light must shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your heavenly Father.”

So let's think about this: we are called to become saints, to be transparent by allowing the love of Christ shine through us. But what blocks Jesus' light and love to shine through us? Arrogance for one, pride, selfishness and many other negative characteristics. Sometimes we get way to caught up in ourselves, and in our glory that we forget all the glory is for God. Even though our praises add nothing to him he uses our actions for our own good. Ask yourself this today: how can I remove negative characteristics from my life? So, as Jesus said we are the salt of the earth, and what he wants us to do is flavor the lives of the people we meet, because they are hungry for God and all his greatness, love, compassion, peace, and mercy. One thing we have to remember though, and be careful of is our pride and ego, which gets in the way too many times. The most important part of this Gospel I think anyways is this, "they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." Jesus does not say glorify you, but glorify your heavenly Father. So, today let your light shine through you to others.

Here is "We are" by Kari Jobe:

Thank You Lord, for reminding us who we are, and help us to give glory only to you because you are the one guiding us.

God Bless,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment